Yada, Yada, Yada

notes, jots, ramblings, run-on-sentences, fragments, and everything in between

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

natural disaster.

I guess I sort of knew it was only a matter of time before natural disaster hit the area where I lived. Three years ago, we had a HUGE storm that took up all the trees in our neighborhood and left us without power for five days, but we were completely fine - thank GOD.

Again, His hand was on us as last night two tornadoes passed through town about seven miles from our house - and RIGHT by the church. There was also severe flooding and many people had to be evacuated from their vehicles. My niece's car stopped in the middle of the street, which may have been a blessing because when she got out of the car, people in a nearby restaurant called for her to come inside - there was a tornado only blocks from where they were.

As far as I know, no one was hurt - which is a miracle in itself, but it's got me thinking a lot. With all the hurricanes and tsunamis and earthquakes - I knew tornadoes would be crazy too. That's the main threat here in Illinois, but of course, I try not to worry about what's out of my control. Still, it's really scary to think how nature has sort of gone haywire. I wonder if it's something we've done - like with global warming - or if God's grace is starting to wear thin - or if it's always been this way and I didn't notice.

Lately, when I've been scraping plates into the sink to shovel uneaten food down the garbage disposal, I feel like - I don't know, it occurs to me that in many places in the world, our scraps would be someone else's best meal ever. I think about that movie "Cinderella Man" when Russell Crowe gives his daughter his food because he "had a dream he ate a big steak" and he was full. I wonder how we would fare in those kinds of conditions?

I pray for our country. I pray that we stop ignoring God - as a culture, we really do. As a society, the things God places importance on are at the bottom of our list. And we are a country that was founded on God's Word. For religious freedom.

Lately I've felt convicted about something. I am strong in my beliefs. I have very solid opinions about a lot of things. But when those things are controversial, I keep my mouth shut. I don't want to upset anyone. I don't want anyone to dislike me. But if I can't stand when it matters - why stand at all?

Just rambling, really. It's cold here. And rainy. I have my big sweater on. Closing in on a big deadline but feeling the pressure mount. Afraid I am not superwoman.

Will only finish with HIS help.

I thank Him for his help.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Kirsten said...

That sounds too close for comfort. So glad you and your loved ones are safe. I've been thinking lately about the peace I feel at church...want to feel that calm, quiet feeling inside of me more often. Maybe we could all use some of that.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger glo-girl said...

Sweet entry.
It's when we ramble that we discover what is weighing heavily on our hearts.
((hugs)) going out to you...

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Heather said...

Glad you are all okay and safe and sound! We went through that once while up in OHio this summer and it wasn't much fun! Glad to be back in the mountains for sure! I too wonder sometimes if God is simply trying to get our attention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home